Thursday, April 2, 2015

"Psycho", Muse is back !

     Hey all ! We hope you enjoy this new blog ! On this sequence we studied some protest songs and just below, you can read our analyze of a song of our choice : "Psycho" written by Muse. We hope you will like this article ! :)


Photo de couverture     After a long time of waiting, Muse's fans are at last rewarded for their patience. The release date of their seventh album "Drones" has just been announced. It will be available on June 8th 2015. For those who can't wait to listen to it entirely on that day, their first single "Psycho" is now out and it reminds us that Muse is at the present time, one of the best rock band in the world. As they told everybody, this new song marks their return to basics alternative rock first albums "Muscle Museum" and "Showbiz".

 I let you discover “Psycho” if you didn't already listen to it. Keep calm, all is going to be good :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLRqzTp6Rk

Here are the lyrics of the song ! They are also on the video.

If you do not do what you're told to do when you're told to do it, you will be punished. Do you understand?
(Aye, sir)
If you leave my base without proper authorisation, I will hunt you down and throw your ass in jail. Do you understand?
(Aye, sir)
I can't hear you!
(Aye, sir!)
Scream it!
(Aye, sir!)
Your ass belongs to me now!
(Aye, sir!)

Love, it will get you nowhere
You're on your own
Lost in the wild
So come to me now
I could use someone like you
Someone who'll kill on my command
And asks no questions

I'm gonna make you
I'm gonna break you
I'm gonna make you
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
Your ass belongs to me now

Are you a human drone?
(Aye, sir!)
Are you a killing machine?
(Aye, sir!)
I'm in control, motherfucker, do you understand?
(Aye, sir!)

Your mind is just a program
And I'm the virus
I'm changing the station
I'll improve your thresholds
I'll turn you into a super drone (super drone)
And you will kill on my command
And I won't be responsible

I'm gonna make you
I'm gonna break you
I'm gonna make you
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
Your ass belongs to me now

Are you a psycho killer? Say "I'm a psycho killer!"
(I am a psycho killer!)
Scream it!
(I am a psycho killer!)
Show me your war face!
(AHHHH!)
You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!
(AHHHH!)

I'm gonna make you
I'm gonna break you
I'm gonna make you
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
A fucking psycho
Your ass belongs to me now

I will break you, do you understand?
I will break you, do you understand?
I will break you, do you understand?
I will break you, do you understand?
(Aye, sir!)

You fucking psycho
Your ass belongs to me now
Your ass belongs to me now


     In "Psycho", we can listen to 3 voices : of course Matthew Bellamy the band’s singer, but also a marine soldier who answers to the orders shouted by his commander, trying to turn him into a “Psycho killer”. The song contains 2 verses (in black in the lyrics above), 4 choruses (in red) and 4 dialogues (in blue) that represent actually a military hazing exercise. This variety gives an interesting contrast to the song, which makes it gripping. Moreover, there is another contrast thanks to the instrumental music. The song starts with a distorted bass, which is later accompanied by a fuzzy guitar and fat sounding drums. This accompaniment offers an alternative rock character to the music which, with nuances, supports the voices. To conclude, we can say that all of this brings us to focus on the lyrics.


      Muse has always been a band that loves to talk about complicated subjects. The previous album was about the second law of thermodynamics. The new one refers to the world war III, mind control and military hazing. The lyrics of “Psycho” are based on these themes. The relation with world war III is done with the two characters : a commander and a marine. The relation with the mind control is done with the evolution of the soldier's mind while his commander is shouting at him. By using offensive lyrics, Matthew Bellamy tries to show us the brutality of the army and how the soldiers are treated badly. He criticizes the fact that when a soldier is too weak to think on his own, army authorities can manipulate him.
      The first verse shows how mentally weak the soldier is with the sentences “lost in the wild” and “asks no questions” and consequently, how the commander could bring him to do what he wants. This is shown in “I could use someone like you / Someone who'll kill on my command”. The soldier is totally dehumanized in the second verse. That responds to the orders shouted by the commander and approved by the soldier just before. He is a “human drone” so his “mind is just a program”. He is no longer a human and he can no longer think at all.
      An other aspect of the army is made in “Psycho”. It is also about the military hazing. The four choruses and the “shouted” passages show how violent this is for the soldier. The commander says “I will break you” and then forces him to approve.
Finally, we can say that the soldier is too weak to endure all these mental pressures and he finally goes “Psycho” shouting instead of answering to the last question with “Aye Sir”.


      For a long time, military hazing continued even if it was forbidden since 1998 in France for example. Everyone knows how hard the army is but the recruits shouldn't have to endure that and the commanders don't have to take advantage of their power. Even if there are grades, marines and commanders are humans that had the same rights. It is just recently that people are changing their way of thinking about the subject. Most of the time, military hazing's victims are women and young recruits. They are forced to do really hard mental or physical things.
In the USA, the most famous military hazing case was called : “
United States Navy dog handler hazing scandal” where almost 100 soldiers had been abused between 2004 and 2006.
Nowadays, all the tensions and all the conflicts that happens in the world can remind us, as Muse thinks, that a world war III could always happen if nothing is done to improve the situation.



    

 So we can say that Muse, with its new single and by using a crude langage, has realized a protest song against military hazing and manipulation. Now, you have to wait until June 8th to discover the full album and all the other protesting themes on world war III or mind control and who knows ? Maybe Matthew Bellamy will break his world record of smached guitars on stage that is currently of 140 in one tour ! 
     Oh and... If you are totally addicted to that song and that you are playing it on repeat, for god's sake, stop now or you are going to go psycho !

XOXO Laura and Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment